H4 Volunteer Authorization

Dear Admin,

I am currently on H4 visa. I am trying to apply for Volunteering at a local university hospital. Since this hospital doesn’t allow volunteering for foreign nationals, I am seeking advises from my friends. One of them mentioned that there is some sort of Volunteering Approval or authorization to volunteer that I can request from US Immigration or Homeland security etc (she is not clear on this part). Can any one advise me on this ? Did you ever hear of any such thing?

Thank you


I have not heard about any such form/document.

Thank you for your response Saurabh. Do you know I can apply for SSN for non-work reasons ?

I don’t think so. Are you eligible to get the EAD?

I am not there yet Saurabh.