H4 Visa - how to change it to H1B?


Once my stamping is over, if I start working on H1B from december 2012 then I have plans to have my wife attend Visa Interview for H4.

  1. If she gets through H4 interview and starts living with me in US, then if she finds a H1B sponsor…then she should apply for COS from H4 to H1B as far as I know. So inorder to give H1B VISA interview, should she travel to India?? or can give interview in US itself?

  2. While she is in US in H4, if she decides to do higher studies…then should she have a GRE score ?? or is it not required?


  1. If her COS gets approved, she can start working on H-1 from Oct 1 even w/o the stamping. Next time she travels to her home country, she will have to go for H-1 visa stamping in order to return on H-1 visa

  2. Different schools have different requirements. I would suggest checking w/ specific schools to know their requirements and see if GRE/TOEFL is waived off for her based on her profile, experience etc.

Thank you so much for the reply Saurabh!