H1B recapture unused time

Dear team ,
Looking for your help here pl…I had H1B validity for initial 3 years from 2018-2021 that got completed on September '2021. Have been in US for just 6 months in between and had to come back due to pandemic. Though my visa got expired, is there a possibility to recapture my unused time in my approved 3 years? Also, how positive is to get additive 3yrs extension approved in this case?

Many Thanks!!
Shriram.

Only the time spend in the US working for the H1B employer is considered against the 6 years of H1B.
Your employer can apply for extension and once approved you can get the H1B stamp and travel to the US for the H1B job.

Thanks much Kalpesh. I was approved only for 3 years by that time where I have utilised 8 months. In future would there be a possibility of having additional 3years extension to fulfil H1B 6 years term? Just curious as this recapture shouldn’t hamper the actual 3 yes extention.

Many Thanks,
Shriram

You have 5 years and 4 months left on your term so yes you will get 3 years and then extension of another 2 years 4 months.

1 Like

Hi @Kalpesh_Dalwadi ,
I have a similar case. I was in USA from 2014-16 and had to come back to India due to some circumstances. After that, I have left my employer and currently working for another employer.
My question is: can I use my remaining period of entitled employment (apx 4 years).
If yes, how should I proceed?

Thanks in advance!

If you have gone through this thread, you should have the answer to your question.
Any H1B sponsoring employer can file your H1B under cap-exempt and claim the remainder of your H1B term.

1 Like