H1B- Can I file for extension from India without traveling once to US?

Dear Sirs,

My H1-B petition is going to expire soon i.e. on 31st of December 2017.

Is there a way we can file extension without traveling to US once? If yes what is the process. If no what are other chances to travel US.

Your help on this would be very much appreciated.

Balaji Patil

You need to have a job in your company in USA to apply for extension. If you do not have any open position within your company in USA , there is no point in applying for one. As your company has to provide details as to what position it is and why it is applying for extension, etc. and why you have not traveled so far on the visa already granted etc.

You can ask your company to place you in USA and ask for extension. Without your employer, you can never do a thing on H1 extension.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We have a position in the US with our client.
The petition which I am talking about is filed for the same client. We didn’t have a position until December 2017, but now we have position with our client.

I had a discussion with our immigration team, they said - we can file extension only if I have travelled to the US at least once with the petition.

Pls suggest.

Note: current petition is expired on 31st December 2017.

Thank you very much!!!