H1b approved , have some queries related to H4 and J1

Hello Everone,

I am working in MNC (IT) , my H1 B just got approved. I ll be leaving for US in March 2014. I have few questions.

1- My wife is PHD in Biotechnology, what are the possibilities for her in US ( Study), can she do post Doctorate . If yes , do I need to change her Visa( H4) to J1.(or anythig else)

2- My H1 B Visa is upto Dec 2014, if somehow it got denied for extension. Can I work in IT industry as a dependent of my Wife ( if she has J1 Visa).

3- If there is any other suggestion so that I can stay with her (also can do some job). while she completes her post doctorate.




#1. Before she starts work as a postdoc, her visa has to change from H4 to J1. It is easy and any university approved to issue DS2019 forms can do this. Arrive first, TOGETHER, then work on this.

#2. J-2 dependents are eligible to work anywhere in the United States without restriction for 7 years or J-1 D/S as the case might be.

#3. Yes, as soon as she gets a J-1, try and see if you can apply for a J-2. This way you will have a cushion in case an extension for your H-1 becomes a challenge.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA. www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu

Thanks Sandeep!!!