H1B 2014 - How is the Lottery system done ??

If there is a lottery this year, are the successful Candidates chosen randomly ??

I heard they dilute based on the companies for example if X company puts in 10,000 applications, the lottery makes sure it takes a certain percentage of Candidates from those 10,000 applications. This way it makes sure that all Companies get atleast some Candidates atleast.

Lotter is done based on fair share ratio.If a company ahs filed more number of petition, it will get more weightage in the lottery. It also depends on the profile of the company. For example, a tier one IT company will get more number of Visas through the lottery system.

Regarding lottery, I found this in the official webside of USCIS:

"If necessary, USCIS will apply a random selection process to all petitions received [b]on the date[/b] when a sufficient number of petitions have been received to reach the applicable numerical limit (“final receipt date”) for cap-subject H-1B, H-2B and H-3 petitions regardless of whether Premium Processing Service is requested. "

To my understanding that say until the cap is not reached, the petitions filed will not be considered for lottery. If the cap is reached e.g. on day#4, only the petitions filed on that day will be considered for lottery to fill up the cap. Those filed on day#1/2/3 will not.

Can anybody confirm that?

It seems good explanation, Could any EXPERT comment on this?

TIA - KK.

According to the official announcement regarding the reached cap here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5051f359827dd310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

It says:

“USCIS will use a computer-generated random selection process (commonly known as the “lottery”) for all FY 2014 cap-subject petitions received through April 5, 2013.”

That would mean that ALL applications received will go into the lottery.

It also says:

“The agency will conduct the selection process for advanced degree exemption petitions first. All advanced degree petitions not selected will be part of the random selection process for the 65,000 limit.”

Meaning those advance degrees that don’t make it into the 20.000 cap for advanced degrees will also go into the lottery for the regular cap of 65.000.