H-1B consular approval to change of status


I have a valid F1 status. My future employer recently applied for an H-1B on my behalf via consual rprocessing. It was approved. My question is the following: 

[b]Can my lawyers change the consular approval notice to a change of status? [/b]

I am heistant to leave country. Afraid US embasy will deny visa (based in fact I enetered US 10 yrs ago using B1/B2 and never left. Always kept a valid status tho). 

[b]Is there any drawback of doing this (i.e. long processing time, might be rejcted as well, etc)?[/b]

[b]Is a change of staus the same than a AOS (I-485) application? Should I apply for OPT instead (might be quiecker way to get EAD)?[/b]

Again, any feedback would be much apprecited.