Going to study in USA with dependants

How should one manage going to study MS in computer science in USA with a wife who is not going to study or work there?
is it advisable to bring dependants after the masters is done and once when one starts working in a full-time job?

1 Like

Well, it depends on your financial situation and course work load.

If you can afford to sposnor your family, it will be helpful to have your family with you as you have someone to talk to and spend time with, also it will be helpful to you to have someone at home take care of your food and other logistics, it lets you focus on studies…

Also, if you are taking a lot of courses and have a lot of load, it can get stressful…but, you have family to lean on…Again, it is a choice and financial situation…

Take them along, you will do just fine

Dr. Sandeep Shankar
Academic Advisor (India) to The Executive Director
Colorado Heights University
3001 S Federal Boulevard, Denver, CO 80223
www.chu.edu
sshankar@chu.edu

Sure, sir. My only concern is how to plan it out.

Option 1: Marry now and then go to study there with my wife.
Option 2: Go to study there. Complete the masters degree. Then marry and call my wife there.
Option 3: Marry now, do not bring my wife as a dependent to USA. Complete the masters degree. Then call my wife there.

If you were my son, option#4 will be my advice

Option 4: Go to study there, complete degree, get a job, change visa status to H, J or anything else, now get married. 

This option applies only if your parents are trying to get you into an arranged marriage before you leave for their peace of mind, but this is not being fair to you. However, if there is already someone next door you really really like Bollywood style, it will not be fair to leave her behind alone. Then you must get married and bring her over now. 

Dr. Sandeep Shankar
Academic Advisor (India) to The Executive Director
Colorado Heights University
3001 S Federal Boulevard, Denver, CO 80223
www.chu.edu
sshankar@chu.edu