Emergency Break - URGENT

am a masters student here and my father is seriously sick and I need to go to India for 2 weeks. My university says no matter what, you may not go to India between the semester, which includes death. How true is this or am I getting played ?

Well, I do NOT know the precise regulations as I am not a DSO. Did you speak to DSO and they said so ? Talk to your DSO, if you have not. There maybe some exceptions. Usually, you have some options where you can take a semsester break. I am assuming that Spring Semester just started and the last date to drop classes is still there…You may consider dropping all classes and taking a voluntary leave of absense or semseter break. Discuss with your DSO or International student advisor regarding this option. I know some of my friends have taken a semester off and went to home as they were home sick and needed to take care of things. If you still get push back, schedule an appointment with USCIS in your city and discuss your options, they can guide you. Also, you can call other DSOs in other schools to confirm. I guess, there has to be a way to work in these kind of tough situations…