deported back to India on opt ead

Hi. My cousin has done his masters in computer science from John Hopkins university. He even got an offer letter from NVIDIA, CA to join in ending of May 2016. He then went to India to spend time with parents and was returning back day before yesterday. For some reason which I am still not sure of, he was sent back to India by the CBP officer. Can you give me any suggestions which would help him to re-enter into US? He is on his opt, graduated last December 2015. He’s having his grad walk on this may 16th. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Kumar,

Sorry to hear. Deportation is initiated when student is no longer in active F-1 status or there has been previous evidence of overstay. Your friend presented documents that showed he had completed F-1 D/S (graduate as of Dec), had an OPT EAD card but evidence of only a future offer letter. Technically, this puts him into ‘status unclear’ situation and will be complicated if there was something wrong with the NVIDIA offer letter or a 90-day unemployment grace has been exceeded. The school has to reinstate your friend’s F-1 status and the SEVIS record must be refreshed. If (1) a visa cancellation has not occurred, (2) all visa dates are still current and (3) there is no travel ban in place; then your friend can return. I hope this works out well soon.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, wwwDOThopeforhumanityglobalDOTorg