I received my H-1B visa approval and got my passport stamped. The startdate is October 1, my petition and stamp is valid for 3 years. However, due to some hitches, I will need to defer or postpone my startdate. What is the process for doing this? Does my employer need to file a new petition or just an amendment? Would this affect the stamp on my passport? As in, will I need to get a new stamping if my startdate is postponed to a later date?
Also, suppose I move to the US, but I don’t have a steady income, what are my options such that I am not out of status? ie, what forms can my employer file so that there are no issues concerning the legality of my visa?