Conversion from H1B to F1 without having to leave the US


I am currently working in the US on an H1B Visa which expires in October 2015. However, I plan to do my masters in Fall 2014. This would require me change my status from H1B to F1.

Do I need to go back to India to get an F1 Visa stamped?

Do I need to quit my job when I apply for the F1 Visa?

  1. Not required if your F-1 COS gets approved. Next time you travel outside of US after COS approval, you will need F-1 stamping

  2. You need to quit after your F-1 COS has been approved. Until then your status is H-1