Consular processing

Hi,

My H1 extension got a RFE and employer says most likely I will have to go for Consular Processing. I’ve following questions about CP:

1. Does one have to wind-up everything here - lease, belongings, bank account, job etc.?

2. How long does it take from Consular processing these days? Any consulate suggestions or lead times known?

3. Any suggestions and tips to get it done faster i.e country, consulate etc.?

1. No. However, have back-up plans in case your stamping request runs into administrative processing.

2. If you are going to India, then wait times are 2-3 months. if you are eligible for dropbox, then it could be quickly and no wait times

3. As this is extension and not fresh H-1, you can even go to CA or MX

I am on F1 - CPT, currently working in the US and have an approved H1B petition on consular processing. My OPT extension ended July 2015, so I enrolled for second masters and received work authorization via CPT.

My application was picked in Apr 2016 lottery. Since it was submitted on consular processing, I understand that I need to go out of the country and attend the interview to initiate H1. But does it have to be my home country (India in my case) or can I go to Canada to get it stamped. The wait times for consulates in Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai are unusually high (80 to 120 days). Do you know if it’s a requirement to attend in your home country. The approval notice also said something about “Notified Consulate: Chennai”, does it mean that I can take only in Chennai?