Change of status H4 to F1 query : I-539 in process


My case for change of status from H4 to F1 was received on April 24, 2017 at Vermont service center. No updates yet.
Fall sem starts on August-7. Not sure if decision will come by that time.

My H4 visa is valid till Nov-18-2017. I have asked university if I can start my semester with H4 but not received any response yet.
In case University responds saying they will defer my admission to next season what are my options to start Fall 2017?

Should I go to India and get F1 visa stamp? I still have couple of months for that. If it gets rejected I can still enter on H4 and get it extended.
If I go to India will my H4 to F1 COS get cancelled automatically or I have to inform USCIS to cancel my case?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I am not sure, if you are still awaiting response from USCIS. You will need to check with your DSO, just call them, if you do not have response or visit them and get it sorted out. As you said, one option is that you can go to India and get the F1 stamped. While, what you said is logically correct, I am not sure, how it pans out. Usually, COS is abandoned, if you leave the country… You can always schedule an appointment with USCIS local office and seek their advice with an in-person appointment.