Change of Status from H4 to F1

Hi. We applied for a change of status from H4 to F1 and it’s been pending for last 7mos. We want to go to India and get it stamped in July. As there are limited appointments now, we want to fill DS160 and book for an appointment. My question - when is the existing COS considered abandoned, when we travel or when we fill DS160 and book an appt with consulate? We want see until July and travel to India only if we don’t get approved until then. Is it okay to take appt as a back up option and wait for COS decision until the date of travel? If someone is familiar, please reply


Only once you travel and leave the US.

Yes, this is okay.

Thank you for your prompt response Kalpesh