Change fof status from H-4 to F-1

Hello,
I have got admission in one of the univerisity in US for MBA and received graduate assistanship for shcolarship and the course starts in August 2013. I recently received H4 and planning to travel to the US in mid of May. Initially my plan was to travel to US and then apply for change of status from H4 to F1 , but I have heard that the change of status takes anywhere between 2 to 6 months, so even if I will be able to study while waiting for change of status, I wont be able to work as an assistant in case I do not get the status change before the commencement of the classes, so regarding this I have the following questions.

1) Is there any minimum duration that one should be in H-4 before applying for a change of status to F-1?
2) Considering the time for change of status, is it advisable to apply for F1 from India itself?
3) If I apply for F1 visa in India, would there be any problem in getting a F1 visa, since I already have a H4 visa and considering that my husband will be working there on H1B visa.

Kindly suggest me which option would be better.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Meghana
  1. Is there any minimum duration that one should be in H-4 before applying for a change of status to F-1?

No, there is no minimum duration.

1. Considering the time for change of status, is it advisable to apply for F1 from India itself.

If you apply for F1, you cannot enter USA until 10 days before your course actually starts. As you have said Aug 2013, you cannot enter USA until then.

1. If I apply for F1 visa in India, would there be any problem in getting a F1 visa, since I already have a H4 visa and considering that my husband will be working there on H1B visa.

You should not have any problem.

If you want to travel in May, COS is the best way out. Otherwise you can wait till Aug and then come in with your F1.