Can I apply for extension once I 140 is approved while previous H1B extension is rejected?

Hi,

My current H1B is expiring by September 30th 2018 and it can be extended for three more months to complete my 6 years of tenure. Also, my PERM is also in progress but for sure I will not get I 140 approved before September.

My question is that, can I apply for extension to recover those remaining three months after September 2018 and await for I 140 approval? If I do not get I 140 approval before October, I will leave US so that I do not consume complete 6 years tenure and I come back to US after I 140 is approved by applying for extension.

What will happen if my extension to recover three months is rejected but I 140 is approved? Can I still apply for extension with approved I 140 from India?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 Like

As long as you are in status , you can request for an extension . An approved I-140 is not a basis for deciding the merit of an H1 petition of any kind , be it new , extension & amendment. But an approved I-140 can be considered to extend the H1 beyond 6 years , if the petition qualifies otherwise.