Can a person go back to native country after filing EAD

Hi,

I am on L1 Visa and my wife will be coming on L2 visa.

I have few questions regarding the same.

1. From the blogs i came to know that i can file EAD before applying SSN. For how many days my wife shoukd wait after entering US for EAD filing.

2. Can she file SSN after filing EAD even if she didn’t receive the EAD.

3. Since EAD usually takes 90 days so can she fly back to India after applying EAD and SSN and i can collect her documents (SSN & EAD).

Regards,

Gurpreet

Hi Gurpreet,

I have answered your queries below

#1. This is correct. EAD and SSN can be applied for in any order. She does not have to wait to apply for EAD. It can be done immediately after arrival

#2. Yes, she can take copy of EAD submission to SSN office and apply for SSN.

#3. Yes she can travel. Both documents will come to address on record by US postal mail. She does not have to be here.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA. www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for you reply. I really appreciate that.
Just reading another post and got the following queries:

1. Is it faster to apply through e-filing (online) OR paper filing (via post)?

2. Is biometrics a mandatory step for EAD application? - Read in few threads that biometric will not be needed for paper application.

3. Will biometrics appointment be scheduled earlier if I apply via e-filing or paper filing?

4. cost involved for EAD application - is it only $380? Biometrics - should we pay extra?

5. Which is the preferred mode of payment for paper appln - Check or M.O?

6. Are the below the only docs reqd?

• Filing fee – $380
  • I-765 form
  • L1 approval notice of spouse
  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of I-94
  • Two photographs
    Let me know if any other docs are required, as my wife is still in India and we have time to arrange the documents.

Thanks & Regards,
Gurpreet