Applying jobs in the US with valid current visa

Hi Saurabh,

I am mighty impressed by the help you are doing to everybody!!

I have a valid H1B visa from my current employer valid until the Dec 2014.

I am in India right now and have traveled to the US on L1 previously but NEVER on H1 yet.

  1. Will I be able to apply for jobs in the US?

  2. Will I get to work on freelance programming right away?

  3. What are the basic steps the new employer and I have to undergo from applying for the job to working for the new employer with the current visa?

Thanks a ton in advance for your response…



1 Like
  1. On H-1, you are supposed to work for the employer who has filed the H-1. In other words, you already have a job w/ them. If you enter US, then you have to work for them. Otherwise, have another employer file H-1 cap-exempt petition (H-1 transfer) for you.

  2. No freelancing allowed on H-1

  3. Find a new employer and have them file cap-exempt petition for you. As your visa is already stamped till Dec 2014, you can then travel to US using the new petition and current visa stamp, and once you land here start working for that new employer.