6 Year stay clock

I stayed in US from L1-B Visa from Sept 2010 to April 2014. My employer filed fresh H1-B for me in same year 2014 CAP (i.e on 1st April 2014 ) and then i travelled back to India on April 2014. MY H1-B was approved in lottery with petition start of 1 Oct 2014. Then I got my visa stamped in Dec 2014 and traveled back to US in May 2015. (i.e after staying in India for more than 1 year). Before 6 months I switched my job and got H1-B transfer approved with end date of April 2019. So does this mean my 6 year counter is reset and I can use full 6 years of my H1-B? Please help.

Yes, your six year clock for H1 is separate from L1.

Hello Prasad, this is Nagesh and I’m in the same immigration situation now as you were in few years back. I was on L1-B VISA from OCT 2010 to May 2014. I returned back to India on 31st May 2014. My employer has filed H1B in April 2015 and it got picked in the lottery. I’ve got the stamping in Sept 2015 and Travelled back to US in 2015 December. My H1B visa is valid till Sept 2017, afterwards my employer gonna file for extension. Now I’ve got an offer with new company. If they apply for my Transfer + Extensition now, my case will be considered as ‘6 years H1B eligible’ and will give extension maximum upto 3 years right ? as I was out of india from June 2014 to Dec 2015(18 months). My L1 (3.5 years) tenure will not be considered part of H1 6 years right? As you know, this clock reset is always a confusing math and no solid rule or info available. Luckily, I found my case is similar to yours, it will be great if you can spare 2 mins of your time to write few words to me. Your response will be appreciated greatly.

Regards,
Nagesh

Hello Prasad, this is Nagesh and I’m in the same immigration situation now as you were in few years back. I was on L1-B VISA from OCT 2010 to May 2014. I returned back to India on 31st May 2014. My employer has filed H1B in April 2015 and it got picked in the lottery. I’ve got the stamping in Sept 2015 and Travelled back to US in 2015 December. My H1B visa is valid till Sept 2017, afterwards my employer gonna file for extension. Now I’ve got an offer with new company. If they apply for my Transfer + Extensition now, my case will be considered as ‘6 years H1B eligible’ and will give extension maximum upto 3 years right ? as I was out of india from June 2014 to Dec 2015(18 months). My L1 (3.5 years) tenure will not be considered part of H1 6 years right? As you know, this clock reset is always a confusing math and no solid rule or info available. Luckily, I found my case is similar to yours, it will be great if you can spare 2 mins of your time to write few words to me. Your response will be appreciated greatly.Regards,Nagesh

Hi nagesh - yes your clock is reset and you got full 6 years on your h1. Even in my case also it got reset and I came to know about this after changing job in July 2016. All the best :slight_smile: