H4 Visa Refused by giving 214(b)

Hi,

On May 25th my wife attended visa interview at Hyderabad consulate. here is the complete conversation.

Around 10:50 AM she entered into consulate counter. Officer took the passport then the conversation went like below.

Officer: Hi, How are you?

Wife: Hi am fine.

Officer: Your Spouse working for?

Wife: Employer Name

Officer: How do you know him?

Wife: Relative

Officer: Cousin?

Wife: Yes

Officer: Father’s or Mother’s side?

Wife: Father’s Sister Son

Officer: Where are you going to live?

Wife: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

And then Officer took around 5 to 10 minutes to check something in the system.

after that officer gave Passport and 214(b) form and said “Your are information not sufficient, read this form”. Then my wife left the place.

What could be the reason for Refusal and How can we proceed further.

Some states in US prohibit first cousin marriage. That might be the reason. You can cross check with your company’s attorney and find a way to proceed further.

If it took 10 minutes before the response came through, the primary applicant’s H1B data was reviewed. Are there any red flags there? Trusted employer, known company, robust project areas, education versus work area (they are looking at it more closely these days even if all this was evaluated once before) etc are determinants.

Thanks for the reply arc01. You are Correct.
But that law should be applied for the people who are getting married in those state. Not the ones who got married out side of state or country right.
Am also checking with attorney.

Thanks sshanker for the reply. Am the primary applicant. I did get my visa just a week before this interview and I don’t have any red flags. Yes known employer.

Hi, We had the same query, how was this resolved? Could you please help us with steps to resolve?

Hi, I moved to New Jersey where first cousin marriage is legal and applied again. Officer Initially issued 221(g) by asking to provide some documents. Then it got approved.

Friend - Can you help me with what were the additional documentations you have been asked. Am also in the same path, trying to move myself to a State where first cousin marriage is legal.

Hi Kalyan, Here are the three documents requested by consulate.

1. New LCA filed by his employer.
  2. AR-11 form filed with the Department of Homeland Security.
  3. New address in New Jersey with his name and the address on it.
    Please feel free to reach me on my email raju0574@gmail.com if you need more details.